Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. ~2 Timothy 2:15

About Me

I am a young man who is following God's call into pastoral ministry. I have been so blessed with the privileges which the Lord has granted me. I am blessed to serve the Mt. Joy congregation in Mt. Pleasant, PA. I am constantly humbled and amazed at what the Lord is doing in my life.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Preach the Gospel and Use Deeds if Necessary

I have always had mixed feelings toward the oft-quoted saying, "Preach the gospel, use words if necessary," as it is typically used to overemphasize "right living" over the teaching of sound doctrine when the Bible teaches both as important for the Christian. Paul instructed Timothy to Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you (1 Timothy 4:16). Both deeds and words go together. It was Ezra's practice in ministry to study God's law or instruction and practice it before he taught it to Israel (Ezra 7:10). Even in Jesus' teaching, when He did a miracle (a deed), it often was used as a teaching tool for either His disciples or those in the crowd. I think this article makes a great point that the "message" of the gospel cannot be made devoid of words as it is a "message." May we always "speak the gospel" and make sure that our deeds mirror our teaching.

In Christ,
Lee
Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: