Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. ~2 Timothy 2:15

About Me

I am a young man who is following God's call into pastoral ministry. I have been so blessed with the privileges which the Lord has granted me. I am blessed to serve the Mt. Joy congregation in Mt. Pleasant, PA. I am constantly humbled and amazed at what the Lord is doing in my life.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Pondering the Practicality of Predestination

There are many accusations that are often hurled at those who hold to what I would describe as the biblical understanding of the doctrine of predestination; that God, in eternity past, chose those for whom He would save through the perfect sinless life and sacrificial death of His Son in their place and who the Holy Spirit would work saving faith into their hearts to receive the salvation that He granted them. Of course one of these accusations is that such an understanding of what the Bible teaches pertaining to predestination is wrong. Another claim is that the doctrine is not practical in regards to ministry and evangelism. My goal in this blogpost is to address the latter. Perhaps I'll take some time one day and deal with the former. Suffice it to say now that I see no better way to understand passages such as John 6:44, 65; Acts 13:48; Romans 8:28-30; 9:1-29; 2 Corinthians 4:6; Ephesians 1:3-6; Colossians 3:12; 1 Peter 1:1-5; and Revelation 13:8; 17:8.

The doctrine of predestination has actually brought me to a much greater reliance upon God in my ministry. The longer I serve, the more confirmation I find of the hardness of human hearts that only God can break. I realize more and more that the only hope that I have for any fruit to result from what I do has to come from Him. I can't bring anyone to repentance. I can't take someone who has little concern for God and His Word and give him or her a strong desire for Him. Unfortunately, there are times when I think that I have tried. But all I can do is be faithful to preach and teach the Word as God has called me to do and then pray, pray, and pray that His Spirit would make it effective. Knowing that salvation is completely of the Lord and not solely of human will leads me to pray that God would open up hearts to receive His Word like He did with Lydia (Acts 16:14) and move people to respond positively to His Word. In fact, the more I ponder the implications of the doctrine of predestination leads me to spend even more time in prayer. I can't but He can! And He wants me to plead with Him to do so. I can certainly relate to John Alexander who once said, "At the beginning of my missionary career I said that if predestination were true I could not be a missionary. Now after twenty some years of struggling with the hardness of the human heart, I say I could never be a missionary unless I believed in the doctrine of predestination." Thankfully, in God's great mercy, it hasn't taken me twenty years to get to that point thought I confess that I still often need the reminder.

Also, it is the doctrine of predestination that has sustained me to continue in ministry. There have been discouragements along the way in my service as will be true with any pastor and his ministry. (If it hasn't come yet, trust me, it will.) I think every pastor goes through that time or, in some cases, those times, when they wonder if the Lord is using them where He has placed them. Where they are bothered because they may not be seeing many converts or the Word taking root in the congregation's lives. Of course, we have an enemy who just loves to take advantage of this to work to bring God's servant down and cause him to be unfaithful. But the best way to combat this I have found to be is by reflecting on the doctrine of predestination. That God has already chosen those whom His Spirit will work in to receive His Son as their sufficient substitute. That He will grow those He has predestined to through the preaching and teaching of His Word. I come back to Acts 18:10 where God tells Paul to keep ministering in Corinth despite the challenges the apostle faced, because "I have many in this city who are My people." God is saying that Paul shouldn't quit because He has people already set apart to be brought to Him through Paul's gospel work there. Think about that the next time you find yourself questioning what you are doing at the church you are serving at. When it seems like everything you do is all for nought. That you are getting nowhere with the people in the congregation. No conversions or growth. God is still growing His Church that His Son died for! There may be many in the city or town in which you serve that He has chosen to be His people. Many of those currently bearing little to no fruit within your congregation that He has chosen to be His people. Don't give up but keep going, holding fast to such a thought! To help me out with this when that dreaded discouragement comes, I have written down the following on a piece of paper that now lays on my desk, "God will convert and sanctify His elect here at Mt. Joy as He has promised. I just need to pray, preach, pastor, and wait to rejoice in seeing that be accomplished." Perhaps someone reading this right now might need to write down something similar in respect to where they serve as an encouragement for them to persevere through a difficult season in ministry.

So, don't dismiss the doctrine of predestination as not being practical for life and ministry. I certainly have not found that to be true as I am sure is also true of many others. In fact, I can think of two Reformers who found it very comforting and sustaining to their ministries. It's not just to puff our head up to win arguments but necessary for our perseverance. May the Lord use this blessed truth to press His weary servants forward in faithfulness through their rough times. I know that He has for this often weary one. I pray that He will for you as well.

Love in Christ,
Lee

No comments: