Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. ~2 Timothy 2:15

About Me

I am a young man who is following God's call into pastoral ministry. I have been so blessed with the privileges which the Lord has granted me. I am blessed to serve the Mt. Joy congregation in Mt. Pleasant, PA. I am constantly humbled and amazed at what the Lord is doing in my life.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Importance of Holiness In The Life of a Pastor

Scottish Pastor Robert Murray McCheyne once said that "My people's greatest need is my personal holiness." Additionally, "It is not great talents God blesses so much as great likenesses to Jesus. A holy minister is an awful weapon in the hands of God." McCheyne liked to emphasize the importance of holiness in the life of a minister of the gospel. Over gifts, style or manner of preaching, and leadership experience, he stressed that holiness seen in becoming more Christlike should be the key characteristic of a man called into the ministry. In fact, everything else will unravel if the pastor faults on their personal holiness.

Several months ago, a prominent pastor who has gained notoriety due to his family background and through his preaching and writing attacked this statement by McCheyne, strongly disagreeing with it. That man has now lost his position as pastor due to admitting being in an inappropriate relationship. Perhaps his personal holiness was more important than he thought for his ministry and the people he served. (I share this not to in any way criticize and call out this individual but to illustrate the point about the importance of holiness in the life of a minister. This is why I intentionally decide not to mention his name in this blogpost. Also, I realize that I am no better than he is and could easily fall into the same temptation should I let my guard down and not be as concerned about my personal holiness.)

God Himself views personal holiness as a key characteristic for those called into the ministry. Just look at the qualifications He has Paul lay out in 1 Timothy 3:1-7. Have you ever noticed that all of these really are character traits? The only exception would be "able to teach" in v. 2. And not only are these character traits, but they are ones that reflect the personal holiness of the one called to be a pastor. They address how the minister deals with personal matters. His faithfulness to his wife ("a one woman man" or "the husband of one wife"). The discipline of his children ("keeping his children submissive"). The management of his entire household. His personal life in contrast to his public persona. It is crucial that we recognize this. A pastor who makes a complete failure in his personal holiness can very much disqualify himself for the ministry. (I shudder as I type this realizing how susceptible I can be if I am not careful. I am just as weak as those who have fallen and in desperate need of God's grace and His Holy Spirit to further make me more like Christ through my involvement in spiritual disciplines and the means of grace.)

What concerns me though is how much the personal holiness of a pastor is often neglected today. How many search committees of congregations looking for a new pastor take into consideration the personal holiness of their candidates? Are they more concerned with how powerful of a sermon he can deliver than they are with whether he strives to love his wife as Christ loves the Church? Or whether his children are well-behaved and obedient to him? Does that even come into consideration? Are they willing to overlook the personal holiness of a candidate that God lays out in order to get the leader that they desire?

Now it is quite possible to have a successful ministry in the professing church's eyes but be an utter failure at home. Church history is filled with powerful preachers and missionaries who were horrible husbands and faulty fathers. Who wound up sacrificing family on the altar of ministry. Whose public ministry got in the way of their personal ministry at home. Allow me to share just a few examples of some well known names who sadly neglected their personal affairs on account of their public ministry. John Wesley, who greatly promoted holiness, would not be seen as holy in the treatment of his wife. He even stated once when leaving the house that he hoped to never see her horrible face again. Or take his preaching colleague, George Whitefield, who would leave his wife for long preaching trips and considered his marriage a hindrance at times when the care of her would take him away from his preaching. Then there is William Carey, known as the "father of modern missions," whose wife was driven to experience depression, psychological issues, and eventual insanity due to his lack of care for her and the rigors of missionary life. And theological giant, A. W. Tozer, who neglected his wife for ministry and personal study. She even stated after his death with her second marriage that she was the happiest she had ever been. That "Aiden Wilson Tozer loved Jesus Christ but Lawrence Oden [her second and current husband at the time] loves me." Such successful ministers who skirted their God-given responsibilities at home. Something the Lord certainly would have frowned on and that their commitment to their public ministry did not excuse in His eyes.

So what is the point of all this? What am I seeking to do here? I want to encourage those blessed with the privilege to serve as undershepherds of God's flock not to neglect your own personal holiness. It may derail your ministry if you do as the case with the unnamed individual shared above and even if it doesn't, know that the Lord will not be pleased in how you conduct yourself with your family. Personally, I take this as a warning to myself to make my own personal holiness and growth in Christlikeness a major priority. It really is the best thing for the congregation I serve as well as my family. (I think the longer that I serve in ministry that what I preach, teach, and write is more for myself than anyone else.) And if you have not been called as a pastor, when you pray for your pastor (and as a pastor, I really hope that you regularly pray for those God has called to lead you spiritually), make sure to ask the Lord to work in his life to become more like Christ. It really is the best thing that he can do for both his physical family and his spiritual one.

In Christ,
Lee
Soli Deo Gloria!!!

No comments: