Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. ~2 Timothy 2:15

About Me

I am a young man who is following God's call into pastoral ministry. I have been so blessed with the privileges which the Lord has granted me. I am blessed to serve the Mt. Joy congregation in Mt. Pleasant, PA. I am constantly humbled and amazed at what the Lord is doing in my life.

Monday, September 7, 2009

The Problem with the Title "Calvinist"

For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake.
~2 Corinthians 4:5

A title I often have problems with is that of "Calvinist." Granted, I do wholeheartedly believe, embrace, and teach the "Doctrines of Grace" (the so-called "Five points of Calvinism") as I see them all taught in Scripture. If I did not see these being consistently taught throughout all of Scripture, I would never hold to them or teach them myself. These doctrines have been summarized, though not perfectly, in the acrostic TULIP: Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement (though I prefer to think of it as "Definite Redemption" in that Christ's death secured the salvation of all who believe, that it was an actual redemption instead of a potential one), Irrestible Grace, and Perseverance of the Saints (the truth that Jesus is not only the author of our faith but also the perfector of it (Hebrews 12:2) and that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6)). One of my issues in carrying such a title is the fact that I do not like titles in general except for that of Christ (see my previous post, "What's in a Title?" for more on this: http://blog.energeticexegete.com/2009/03/whats-in-title.html). But there are some other reasons as well.

One issue I have with the title "Calvinist" is that it places too much emphasis on a man and not enough on God's Word. The first thought in someone's mind when they hear that someone is a "Calvinist" is a French Reformer in Geneva and not God's Word. The connotation is that one is a follower of Calvin instead of Scripture. Yet the entire reason that most (unfortunately not all, there are some who hold to more of a system instead of the truth of Scripture) hold to such views is due to their study of Scripture. I did not always hold these views of God's grace but it was through years of studying God's Word that the Holy Spirit began to open up my eyes to man's utter sinfulness and God's supreme sovereignty and the implications of them. I found myself arguing with the Apostle Paul in the book of Romans and realized that either I had to be wrong or Scripture was and since Scripture could not err I must have been the one with the misunderstanding. The more I studied the more the Lord began to show me how things fit together in His Word and prompted me to glorify Him for His work. In fact, the only reason that Calvin held to such views himself was because of his resolute study of the Scriptures. He is recognized by several scholars today as being one of the finest exegetes and expositors of God's Word. The Word of God was central in his ministry to the flock God entrusted to him in Geneva, especially in his teaching and preaching ministry to them. While he may not have been correct in all of his views and teaching (especially concerning infant baptism and the millennial kingdom in my understanding of Scripture's teaching on them), he clearly sought to be as true to the text as possible.

There was an article in Time magazine a few months ago that identified what the author of the story believed were the top ten forces changing the world. The resurgence of Calvinism was number 3. While many Reformed bloggers and authors were a buzz with excitement over this news, I was disheartened. I would have loved the line to have read that the Bible was the force changing the world and not "Calvinism." After all, agreeing with the "Prince of Preachers," Charles Spurgeon, I believe that the doctrines taught by "Calvinists" are really doctrines taught by Scripture and nothing more or less. If only the true source of change was noted instead of a dead man who saw himself as worthless and all that resulted from him being the work of God through His Word.

Also, the title is often mistaken and misunderstood. I don't know how many times, upon hearing my teaching of Scripture and identifying me with the "Calvinist" label, that someone has accused me of being against missions and prayer. Anyone who knows me would recognize how preposterous such claims are. No Christian can be against missions and prayer. Both are clearly taught and commanded in Scripture. To not participate in missions somehow and prayer are acts of disobedience. In fact, a lack of concern for the lost may be evidence of the condition of one's heart. Most of the greatest evangelists in our history would fit the label of "Calvinist": George Whitefield, Jonathon Edwards, Dwight L. Moody (to an extent),William Carey (labeled the "father of modern missions") and Charles Spurgeon. Those who do hold to such views that evangelism and missions as well as prayer are unnecessary have veered far from the bounds of Scripture. Historically those who have erred in this way have been referred to as "hyperCalvinists." Unfortunately, such a distinction between the two are no longer made today, leading to highly exaggerated caricatures of those who are seeking to live out and be faithful to sound doctrine. In fact, Spurgeon both argued against the Arminians and HyperCalvinists in what he saw both to be misunderstandings of the teachings of Scripture.

Due to Calvin's name, a common misunderstanding is that those who carry such a label agree with the Reformer on everything. As I have mentioned earlier, I have major disagreement with his views on infant baptism and eschatology (the study of the end times). I actually came to understand the Doctrines of Grace before reading much of Calvin's works. I began reading him after God began to reshape some of my views through the study of His Word. In fact, the title is a misnomer as Calvin was not the first to teach these doctrines. Luther a generation before him taught such truths and Calvin also quoted Augustine who taught them as well. I would also argue that the teachings of Jesus, Paul, Peter, and John concerning these doctrines predated all of these men.

Lastly, such a title is unfair to Calvin himself. He would probably roll over in his grave to hear that people are going around calling themselves his followers. His ultimate goal in life was to bring glory to God. The entire reason that he devoted himself to the systematic expository preaching of God's Word was that he believed that it was the best way to display God's glory that shines through His written Word. In honoring the Word of God he sought to honor the God of the Word. In fact, Calvin's body currently resides in an unmarked grave somewhere in Geneva just as he requested so that no one could turn it into a shrine. Even in death he wanted people to focus on the God he proclaimed and not himself. Too bad many have built such a shrine around the fallible man whose only good came from the God who worked both in and through him.

I realize that there is no way to escape the label or change it as it has become well-established over the many years since the Synod of Dort. Though I do fit such a label and will continue to hold it, I will continue to strive to be true to Scripture regardless of whether that makes me an Armianian, Calvinist, Dispensationalist, or (insert any other theological system here). May we not get caught up with our title that we forget the truth we proclaim!

In Christ,
Lee
Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: